Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bottom Line

On January 27, 2008, my sister-in-law gave birth to the most precious baby boy I have ever seen. He was perfect – 10 fingers and 10 toes, hands and lips that looked like his daddy’s. The only problem is that he was born at 23 weeks after his mother’s water broke spontaneously in the night. He was just too little to make it. After living for just 15 minutes, my nephew Kane went to be with Jesus. I watched my 23 year old brother plan the funeral of his first born son, with a grace and strength that could have only come from the Father. As he carried the casket of his 1 pound, 5.7 ounce baby it was evident that the burden he bared weighed far more than what he held with his physical hands. I also saw his mom mourn and attempt to let go of all the hopes and dreams she had created for her baby that she would never see grow up. A gut-wrenching thing to do, I am sure.

Here's the thing. Everywhere I turn some one's talking about the Obama Health Care Plan and I'm sure it's no surprise that I am adamantly opposed. There are more reasons than I would ever want to get into. Trust me, there's a lot of them. But there is one reason I can not fight or ignore. From my understanding, his plan, as modeled after the one is Massachusetts, allows for late term abortions for a $50 co-pay. If that's true, that makes me sick.

I've been questioning whether it's insensitive to use Kane's story to prove the point I want to make. But you see, I got that call from my brother in the middle of the night, and I rushed to the hospital and watched his mom cling to a perfectly formed human being. At 23 weeks. A baby. Not just a fetus. And I just can't understand why someone would want to or could go through with an abortion after seeing what I saw.

Bottom line, that's why I won't support the Obama Plan.

You want to talk about rights now?

4 comments:

L said...

Sister, I love you! That is all I can say right now.

(and that we are the best aunts ever!)

Megan and Nate said...

You are great. I truly appreciate the person you are. And this blog entry is a great example of what an amazing writer you are. Nate read it and told me he thinks you are a really good writer. I never even said anything to him about our plan. Just one bit of proof that you should go for it.

Annie and Caleb Pinegar said...

wow. I am so sorry to hear that. Your words were perfect and I'm sorry your family had to go through that. Anyway, hope all is well and looking up.

Beeston Family said...

My eyes literally teared up as I read your post. I feel for your brother and his wife.
But it makes me feel so grateful my boys are healthy and doing well.
You are such an awesome aunt and friend!