Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I give thanks.

In an attempt to make my Thanksgiving dinner semi-nutritious, I wanted to bring something to my grandma's that would not make me gain back the 5 lbs. I worked my a off to lose. I love sweet potatoes, but we didn't grow up eating them so I decided that would be the perfect addition to tomorrow's bountiful feast (just like the pilgrims and indians). Which by the way, I feel very grown up (read: old) bringing food to holidays -- it's my first time, you know. So, today I went to Dahl's with recipe in hand. I found some yams labeled "58 cents/pound." As I'm putting those bad boys into my sack, I remembered a conversation I had with my good friend, Becky where she described a passionate discussion she'd had with a lady at the grocery store who mistakenly said that yams were sweet potatoes. I asked the friendly grocery man if there was a difference. "Oh yes, yes there is a difference," he said. "Sweet potatoes are much healthier, they're right over here." He was the cutest old man (yes, I love all old men, but still.) and he had me convinced. Apparently, they aren't only healthier, but much more expensive. As in, I spent $21 on sweet potatoes. Seriously?!?! I think I would have rather had lobster for that price. But, I left that grocery store knowing Becky would be proud.

Things I'm thankful for today:

1. I have a GOOD job with no worries that the "recession" will leave me unemployed

2. I'm spending the weekend with some pretty fabulous and ridiculously good-looking people in O-town (Chris Jones, anyone??? Don't be jealous.)

3. I'll be enjoying 21 dollar sweet potatoes and Grandma's rhubarb pie tomorrow

4. My family will welcome the cutest baby for me to spoil, snuggle with, and pretend to adopt as my own this next year (yay for A & K having another baby)

5. My classes are over in 2 weeks

6. My hair is getting very, very long :)

7. My good friends in Des Moines (including baby cambri who I also love to snuggle with and pretend to adopt as my own. If you saw her, you'd do the same too)

8. For it to be socially acceptable that I have my Christmas decorations up (because remember, people can be very passionate about putting them up too early), and getting to look at everyone else's pretty lights

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

Megan and Nate said...

I loved this post. I think I say that every time you post something. Apparently I find you entertaining. Thanks for the Cambri comment. You need to come hang out with her soon. She gets cuter by the day. Oh and I am grateful that tomorrow I don't have to get up and go anywhere. I do have a lot to do at home but I can stay in my pjs if I want. I am also grateful for my wonderful friends (you included). Without you Des Moines would be a hard place for me to live. Please come see us soon.

shannonlbolin said...

Sister, I am SO thankful for you! I would be even more thankful if we actually lived in the same dumb city, but oh, well. The weekend was fab, our hair is fab, and it's fab that I get to see you again in a few short weeks, pretty mama!!!