Thursday, November 13, 2008

Christmas is Coming!

You wouldn't believe the number of scrooges out there who grumble and have smart comments when I tell them I set up my Christmas tree yesterday. I understand it's a bit unorthodox to set up your tree before Thanksgiving. I get that. But, it's my house, I love Christmas, and why wouldn't you want to celebrate the birth of Jesus a bit early???
To celebrate (or brace myself) for the beginning of another Iowa winter, I threw together a little party with some good friends, good food, cookie decorating, and tree trimming. Everyone brought their own cookies, traded them all, and left with a bunch of different ones. Unfortunately, a couple of people had to leave and couldn't be in our group picture. Athena loved it because she got to clean up all the dropped frosting/sprinkles and she had more attention than she's had in ages. It's safe to say she loved every minute of it.
I have a few friends who aren't from here, and I know what it's like to be away from my family, so I thought it would be a way to help them to feel a little like they were at home away from home. Because selfishly, I'm thankful they live here! :)A couple of things I didn't take into consideration... a) My house is very, very teeny. We set up a card table in the middle of the living room, with eight girls surrounding it. Tight squeeze, for sure. b) Apparently, I forgot to take in the size of said apartment when I purchased my tree, because I think it may be a bit (a lot) big for the space. c) I am not that great of a baker.... okay cook, not okay baker. I had a hard time figuring out how long to cook my gingersnaps and they definitely left something to be desired. d) I am not great at parties on work nights (I guess I'm just really old) because when my alarm went off this morning, I wanted to call in "sick."
Really though, none of those things matter. Good friends are all you need!P.S. I know this picture of me and Athena is blurry, but I couldn't resist the cheesy Christmas card portrait.

3 comments:

shannonlbolin said...

Sister, my heart litteraly ACHED with jealousy this morning - because of those lucky girls that got to go to your fabulous par-tay!!! One, day, pretty mama, one day!

Sarah Skaggs said...

I wish I could've been there. Totally honest: I was jealous of those girls in YOUR picture at YOUR house with YOU!!! because really, I wanted to be with MY em! I love you, have so much fun in Colorado!

Matt and Erin Pitcher said...

It was a great party, Nikki. I think it was the best Christmas Party I've ever been to--and I'm such a party animal that I've been to a LOT of parties! ;)Thanks so much for doing all the work for it--you made us feel very special!