Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lazy Sunday


One of my favorite things about cooking is wearing an apron. No, I'm not kidding. More times than not, I am probably wearing my gym clothes underneath, but still. For me, it's the vintage, yellow, ruffled apron that makes the experience complete.

I've been searching for a "healthy" recipe for chocolate chip pumpkin bread. There's millions of regular recipes out there, but nothing was making the nutritional cut. I found this one (on Cooking Light) just a bit ago, so I put on my apron (this time over my pajamas) and started mixing. I suppose healthy is matter of opinion. This one works for me.

Yield
32 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup fat-free vanilla pudding
4 large egg whites
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutritional Information
Calories:152 (30% from fat)
Fat:5g (sat 1.2g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.1g)
Protein:2g
Carbohydrate:26.5g
Fiber:1.1g
Cholesterol:0.0mg
Iron:1mg
Sodium:137mg
Calcium:10mg

So, now I wait, while it's in the oven, hoping it tastes delish, and wondering what a girl with a dog is going to do with 2 loaves of chocolate chip pumpkin bread. 152 calories, at 32 servings is NOT healthy, my friends. Although, Athena has eaten a whole loaf of bread before (and several pieces of chicken, a whole roast, the last BOCA burger in the freezer, on my plate, waiting for my consumption...)she too is trying to watch her trim, 32 lb. figure... I'll figure something out.

At this point, there's one thing I'd change. I wish I would have found this "bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes" recipe before 9:00. See, I am not a morning person -- especially not a MONDAY morning person -- and I have early (EARLY) morning gym class tomorrow... you know, 'cause someone's got to eat all this bread.

No comments: