Friday, September 5, 2008

I love my country...

I already talked about loving my country in my olympics post, but I wanted to make sure there's no doubt. Do you think that they olympics, where we pretty much dominate, and the presidential election are purposely in the same year? Just to get us normal people excited. People seem to have more pride in the US when we're doing good things... like winning olympic gold medals. I'm just saying.

One time in college, I had a professor who only refered to me as "Good Little Republican Girl." Honestly, I have no idea where he came up with that b/c we never really talked about politics. It was Accounting. I had the highest grade in the class. He liked to pick on me. Whatever. I maintained all semester that I was an independant. Truth be known, he was more right than I was.

I don't like to talk about it because I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the facts. I don't fully understand the Middle East conflict that's been happening since Jesus was on Earth... in the flesh, that is. I've never gone through the shame of being raped and pregnant and contemplating an abortion. I've never bought a house, and I've never known the personal defeat one must feel when foreclosure is the only option. I've never lost a brother, or a son, or a dad because he was fighting for my freedom and for my "rights." For those reasons... and way more than you care to listen about...I understand I'm no authority on "the issues." I have experienced other things that have shaped me into who I am today; what's important to me, and what is non-negotiable. Regardless, I do have a vote. On November 4th, my vote is my voice.

My favorite part of John McCain's speech last night was when he said this...

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone elses. My country saved me...I can not forget it. And I will fight for her as long as I draw breath... so help me God."

It's geniune, and heartfelt. I don't agree with all he says, but he loves the United States even more than I do and I'm thankful for that. Besides who wouldn't want a vice president who looked like Tina Fey? Tina is pretty stinkin' hilarious.

2 comments:

Megan and Nate said...

I need to have blog entries that are more thought provoking like this one. Maybe I should blog about the discussion we had last night:)

aletha :: pearls events said...

Thanks for the comments! You are way too sweet :)