Thursday, July 10, 2008

Working after vacation is no fun...

San Francisco was great. Seriously. Not working was great. Sleeping in was great. Eating whatever we wanted was great. Quality time was great. Loved it.

My flight left at 5:00 a.m. on Friday (the 4th). I do not recommend taking that flight. Ever. Too early for this girl. We met in the airport, spent a bit of time figuring out how to ride the BART, and lugged our suitcases through the streets of the busiest city I have ever been in...At the risk of sounding high maintenance, I'm not so much a fan of carrying my bags, but we weren't given a choice in the matter. It wasn't so much just carrying them, as trying to maneuver around sooo many people. Anyways, lucky for me, our first stop was the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa. I'll take a massage, manicure, and pedicure in a big, comfy robe any day. We make "friends" everywhere we go. I like to think it's our infectious laughs that gets people... It feels like everyone turns and stares when we really get going... Maybe they find us annoying, but WE certainly think we're fabulous!

Later we checked into our hotel... after first being given a room that was already occupied... Not off to the greatest start. We ended up getting a room upgrade -- with two beds instead of one... Apparently, when I booked the hotel, I was trying to be budget friendly and save money by sharing a bed. The budget was definitely thrown out the door. I gave it an honest effort (something like that). The hotel didn't have air conditioning which is standard, I guess. Instead of mints on the pillow, we were given earplugs. I thought that was weird until I heard the lovely sound of screaming, and sirens all night long. We later discovered from our cab driver that, "the only place you're not safe at night in San Francisco is in the Tenderloin." "What's that?" "The homeless district." "Where's that?" Oh, basically right where we were staying. I never really felt unsafe, and we always practiced the buddy system. :) I didn't think it was a bad experience, and thankfully it was clean.

We missed the fireworks because apparently there are two giant bridges in San Francisco. Who knew? Yes, one is bright, can't miss it, blazing orange and one is white, but still. For the record, we were not the only ones at the wrong bridge... there were several hundred people in the same area as us, okay? Besides, I'd been up since 12:40 a.m. (SF time) so by that time I was ready for bed. It ended up not being a big deal in the end.

The rest of the story... in pictures.
Waiting for fireworks at the "golden gate bridge..."
At the gates of Chinatown...
Lunch at The Stinking Rose... This place literally uses 3000 pounds of garlic per month... DELIGHTFUL!!!
Awesome views...
On a cruise... lucky for me, I packed my boat shoes. :)
The REAL Golden Gate Bridge... It is unmistakably orange... We'll know for next time. :)

I have a secret love of sailboats... not sure why.

Alcatraz was WAY cool. Shannon and I decided that guided tours are the way to go...
The Aquarium at the Bay. I had really high expectations, but it wasn't that great.
Fisherman's Wharf...
We ate a lot of good food -- Clam Chowder and Sour Dough Bread, Calamari to my hearts content, sushi at Blowfish, fancy cheeses, and ice cream way too many times. Thanks to Shannon for throwing her gluten-free diet out the window for the weekend... It's much better eating bad-for-you food with someone else. :) Again, the budget was gone, and we had appetizers and desserts at most meals. Who knew you could break $100 on one sushi meal??? I know now.

All in all, the trip was awesome. We laughed a lot, ate a lot, and walked a lot. I'm lucky to have a best friend who will leave her husband for a couple days to go on vacation with me. We decided we need to take a trip together every year... next time: New York.

1 comment:

shannonlbolin said...

I may shed a tear - and break down and have a DC...or not. Sister, it was a FABULOUS trip, and I look forward to the next! NYC here we come!!!